Monday, December 14, 2009

Product Review: Maytag Washer and Dryer

More than 10 years ago, my husband and I need a new washer and dryer. We had the standard, cheapest ones and I don't even remember what brand they were, now. We didn't want to invest anymore money fixing the ones we had, so, we decided to invest in new machines and we wanted the "cream of the crop" this time. With kids now, we need heavy duty machines that would hold up to running non-stop.

I remembered the Maytag commercials. Poor repairman, was out of work, because they never had any repairs. So, I thought to myself, that is what we want!

One month after the purchase, we had problems with both machines. Thankfully, we had warranties. They came and fixed both. Of course, it took a week before they could get to our house. With a family of 4, not being able to do laundry for a week-plus was irritating at least.

Repair after repair. Our washer was decided to be "lemon" and they replaced it, because it needed to be repaired more than 5 times with-in the same year.

Since then, even with the new machine, we have had to have the washer repaired at least twice per year. Once, the transmission was replaced and the repairman told me, in essence, I now have a new washer. Right, I thought. Then, you come and take care of my laundry every time I have to have it fixed and have to wait at least a week for the repairman to come, and possibly another week or two waiting for parts!

When the time came to renew our warranty and up-grade it to a five year, I didn't even hesitate.

Here it is, today. All the warranties have expired. I could buy another warranty for $500 they tell me. Are you kidding me? I should have taken the initial warranty money and combined it with this $500 ,which I WILL not buy, and use it to buy a new machine!!!

Unfortunately, at this point in our economic times, we cannot afford to buy a new machine. We can't afford to have it repaired. So, every load requires coaxing and re-arranging just to get it to spin.

When the time does arrive that we are able to replace the machines, we will run as far away from the Maytag aisle and hopefully find our selves in front of a machine willing to stand up to it's duty. Any comments on your favorite washer and dryer would be greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. What a coincidence that I would visit your site today. Our dryer just died and our washer is following. We are looking around. Until then, have been going to the laundromat. Not close and not fun and expensive. :) Good review!!!

    ReplyDelete